Become a Transfer Community Mentor
Interested in supporting other transfer students during their transition to FSU? Consider volunteering as a Transfer Community Mentor! The Transfer Community Mentor program is an undergraduate volunteer leadership position designed to provide peer outreach and support to new transfer students.
What is a Transfer Genius?
A Transfer Community Mentor would potentially engage in the following activities in support of their Transfer Student Community at FSU:
- Serves as a partner for assigned first-semester students.
- Facilitates Transfer Roundtable activities.
- Represents Transfer Student Services at tabling and virtual events (Market Wednesday, Orientation, TCC Day, Involvement Fair).
- Facilitates Visiting Day, Transfer Orientation, or classroom presentations at FSU or TCC when requested.
- Participates in transfer focus groups/invited panels when requested.
- Assists academic colleges with Transfer Student Orientation and academic advising when requested.
- Provides transfer-friendly walking or virtual tours of the campus.
- Assists SLS 3140 instructors as a peer leader when requested.
Transfer Community Mentor Expectations
- Transfer Community Mentors - Must be willing to be assigned 2-3 new transfer students and keep in contact regularly via email and/or text.
- Transfer Community Mentors - Must have excellent communication and presentation skills. Will assist with classroom presentations at FSU or TCC, orientation and visiting day events.
Why Should I Serve as a Transfer Genius?
- Gain leadership and peer mentoring experience.
- Network with other transfer students and university staff.
- Support first-semester transfer students.
- Gain valuable interpersonal skills
- Professional Development opportunities and engagement with transfer student alumni
- Must be a transfer student with at least 30 total credit hours, in good academic standing, with no student conduct infractions.
- Must have completed at least 12 FSU.
- Must be registered for at least 12 hours (and be subsequently enrolled to remain eligible).
- Must have at least a 2.5 FSU GPA and 3.0 overall GPA.
- Preferred candidates must demonstrate evidence of: 1) superior verbal and written communication skills; 2) superior group facilitation skills; 3) superior ability to build relationships; 4) a working knowledge of FSU campus resources.
- Experience in a student organization is a plus!
Frequently Asked Questions
Will continuously be updated
Is this a paid or unpaid position? The Transfer Community Mentor program is currently an unpaid, campus service activity. The time commitment should be on average about 10 hours per month, including any training activities. Some weeks it could be less, depending on the expectations and opportunities to meet with students.
Questions? Please contact us via email at email@example.com for more information.